Preparing for JUC
Before your arrival at JUC, here are a few things you should take care of:
Map Materials (Pre-Israel Assignment)
When you are accepted into our study program, you will be sent mapping materials as a pre-Israel assignment. Because there will be so much to do once the program begins, it is important that you complete these materials before leaving for Israel and bring all of them with you. You will use these maps in the classroom and in the field. Click the link below to access the Regional Study Guide that will walk you through how to mark maps 1-7:
Arrival In Israel
Please schedule your arrival in Jerusalem on the date that campus housing opens for your study program. To get to our campus from the Ben Gurion Airport, follow the insructions below:
1. Take the Jerusalem Shuttle Service (Nesher Sherut) to the American Institute (JUC) on Mt. Zion.
The easiest way to get to campus from the airport is by taking a sherut, which is a large shared taxi for 10 people (click here to see what they look like). Sheruts run 24-hours a day, including Shabbat, and the cost is $20 or 70 shekels. You do not need to tip your driver.
The sheruts should be lined up waiting outside the Ben Gurion airport. To find them, exit the airport, walk to the street, and look to the right. Do not go to the left and take a regular taxi! Know that the taxi drivers may try aggressively to sell you a ride which costs 300+ shekels ($100+).
Tell the sherut driver that you want to be dropped off at The American Institute on Mount Zion. If he does not recognize the name, you can tell him the Hebrew name: "Machon Amerikai."
2. Walk from your drop-off point to the JUC campus.
Avoid using GPS or online maps. They are unreliable when navigating to JUC.
If you have trouble locating the campus, please call us:
- School office: +972-2-671-8628
- Dr. Wright: +972-52-823-3426
3. Ring the button at the campus gate.
Ring the button for “JUC Office" or "Yard."
4. Enjoy your time.
Welcome to JUC. We are glad you are here!
For those staying in a hotel:
- For the Gloria Hotel, tell the driver to drop you at Jaffa Gate.
- If you will be staying at any other hotel, you will be informed of where to ask the sherut driver to let you off prior to your flight.
- Check-in at the hotel is 12pm. Please note that if you arrive significantly before the normal check-in time on your designated arrival day, there will likely be an additional fee assessed by the hotel.
- You are responsible to arrange all accommodations outside of the designated arrival and departure dates.
After you arrive at JUC, you will receive a program schedule which includes the dates and times of field studies and locations of stay. While the staff at JUC does their best to adhere to the program schedule, please note that changes do occur even at the last minute or during the course of the program itself, due to logistical or safety reasons. If such changes occur, you will be informed of them by your instructor or by the JUC office.
Departure From Israel
Please schedule your departure for the last day of the program. If you wish to stay on campus longer, you must have prior written permission since rooms may not be available, and you will be charged for those days.
Group Transfer Buses
For those short-term groups which have ordered (prior to arrival) group transportation from Ben Gurion International Airport to Jerusalem, a representative of Jerusalem University College will meet you at the airport. It is important that everyone in the group gather at the baggage claim area and pass through customs (“nothing to declare”) together, then exit the airport together as a group. Once someone exits, it is not possible to return and look for stragglers.