Frequently Asked Questions

While you will be unable to use U.S. Title IV funds to study at JUC, we do offer scholarships to qualified students and payment plan options. Undergraduate students may apply for scholarships from JUC which are approximately $1000 per semester. Undergraduate students may also apply for payment deferral which will allow them to put off payment of their JUC student invoice until the semester after they complete their undergraduate degree. Click here for more details.

Yes, JUC offers two payment plans for study abroad semester students. One plan allows the student to pay JUC directly in three equal payments throughout the semester of study. The second is a deferred payment plan that allows the student to repay JUC directly in monthly installments that begin after the student graduates from their home institution. Click here for more details.

JUC’s program is academically and physically rigorous, including up to twelve hour days in the field or longer. The field studies involve hours of walking, standing, and several hikes (although some are optional). There are usually opportunities to sit throughout the day and plenty of time on the bus. However, students should expect an intensely physical program and plan to sweat.

All on-campus housing is dormitory style with bathrooms located separate from the dorm rooms.

Undergraduate students are required to live on campus. Graduate students are encouraged to live their first semester on campus at JUC. If they choose, they may find off-campus housing for their subsequent semesters.

Married students may also live on campus at JUC if space is available (the spouse of a full-time student living on campus is charged board only). Students with children may also apply to live on campus as space is available. Children 6 years and under may live in their parents' dorm room at no additional cost. Families with children 7 and older may have the option to acquire a second dorm room at an additional cost). Click here for more details about campus housing.

Everyone traveling to Israel must have a passport that expires at least six months after they plan to exit the country at the end of their program.

Long-Term Programs

Long-term students (those attending JUC in residence for one semester or more) must acquire an A-2 student visa prior to arriving in Israel. Married students also must acquire an A-4 visa for each dependent (spouse and children) who will be in Israel with them.

Our staff in Jerusalem will assist you in the process of securing a visa and provide you with details as needed. Read more about obtaining student visas here.

Short-Term Programs

Short-term students who travel from countries that have normal relations with Israel will be issued a three-month tourist visa upon arrival. Students from the United States, Canada, and most European countries fall under this category. Students who come from countries that do not have normal relations with Israel will need to make prior visa arrangements before entering the country.

Read more about obtaining tourist visas here.